Superlatives...
Remember back when you graduated from high school? Or maybe even junior high school. Recall your yearbook? Full of formal photos, candids, signatures... a treasure trove of memories! Remember the "Superlatives" section? The part of the book where classmates voted for the most popular, the cutest couple , class clown or the best smile. I wonder what ever happened to those people. Those chosen few who stood out in a class as being the best at something. Did they go on to do great things? Perhaps, but I wonder, what does it mean to be "the best"? Are you great at something because you think you are? Or does someone else have to think so to make it real? Such vague and subjective terms and yet we all use them. I find it amusing when someone tells me I am the best. I realize that it is usually showing gratitude but I am always compelled to ask, "the best what?" That question always confuses people and I almost never get an answer...the truth is the best is only the best until the "next best thing" comes along!
Many years ago, I was convinced that I should join the cast of a wonderful cable access television show. I had never intended to be on TV, nor was I prepared in any way. I fell into the situation and decided that I would go along for the ride. When it came time to list my name in the credits, I shied away from using my real name but had difficulty choosing a stage name. Eventually, I settled on a name that I had given myself years earlier. Even at the tender age of twelve, not being one to settle for mediocrity, I decided to reach for greatness. In a family of four Marys, I became known as "Mary the Great." It became a running joke in my family and continues to this day. But, I digress...
This column will be looking at what is great in this world. There is so much that can occupy our minds and fill our days: to-do lists, family obligations, meetings, appointments, etc. and yet there is so much greatness that we can find if we just take the time! I would like to suggest that each column will be giving attention to something that is great or the best. Of course, what is great to one person may not be to another so we need to respect that and try to see the joy in our world where ever we may find it.
I would like to request your input for a future column. We will be reviewing the best free stuff to do during the summer. If you have ideas about what you think is the best thing to do in the summer when you are completely broke, please let me know! I can be reached by email at MTGreat3@yahoo.com or maybe the best idea would be to write your suggestion down in a letter or on a postcard and mail it to me c/o Joanna Tzouvelis at the Burlington Union, P.O. Box 9191, Concord, MA 01742. Writing letters is a dying art and yet isn't it "great" to get a piece of mail that isn't a bill? So go find an envelope and a stamp (remember them?) and send me your response! And lastly, if you see some weird game show on YouTube with some strange blonde woman giving people bunny ears, just remember, it's not me...it's Mary the Great!
Thursday, June 23, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment