Superlatives Who Says Your Not Perfect?
For the last few years , I have had limited time to enjoy some of my favorite pastimes. Many years ago, I devoured books, often reading an entire book in a day. I used to crochet. I even scrapbooked for awhile. I still take tons of photos but, with digital media, I never seem to get around to printing out the pictures. Above all of these, my favorite diversion has to be listening to music. I began my obsession with all things Top 40 when I was about twelve and heard Da Doo Ron Ron on the radio. No, it wasn't the original 1963 Crystals song but the 1977 remake by Shaun Cassidy. Laugh if you will, but I never missed the Hardy Boys television show. I believed it was a natural progression after my infatuation with Donny Osmond had faded (sorry Donny!) And it got much worse after that!
I used to sit glued to the radio on Sundays to hear Casey Kasem's Top 20 countdown. I think I even wrote down all of the songs so I wouldn't forget any. I would scrape together whatever change I could earn to buy the latest and greatest 45 record for that week. There was Andy Gibb, the Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, KC and the Sunshine Band, Olivia Newton-John, Hall & Oates...I could go on forever... This love of music eventually led me to a teenager's dream job - working in a record store! I was fortunate enough to move up quickly and soon found myself in the job of assistant manager. I got to order everything in the store except for records. There were posters, 45 singles, buttons, stickers, t-shirts, hats and more. It was a fun challenge to try to predict what would be the big seller for the following week and order accordingly. I really miss that "job." But enough about my past...
Recently, I have become re-acquainted with the current chart topping music thanks to my daughters and their love of song. While I may be listening more as a concerned parent these days, I do feel like there are many talented performers out there. Amidst all of the hype, the scandals and a meat dress or shoes, pop music is alive and kicking. American Idol was back on top this year and there is still quality music to be found. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised where I discovered two "perfect" songs. The songs have such a similar theme that I had to buy both of them and actually printed out the lyrics as well. Sung by singers that I would consider to be, pretty much, polar opposites, the songs have a fantastic and remarkably parallel message.
First on the turntable was Selena Gomez & the Scene. Singing a song written by Priscilla Hamilton & Emanuel Kiriakou, lead singer, Ms. Gomez took on the song Who Says, which has personal meaning for her. According to Gomez, the song was intended to inspire people. ..particularly those involved in cyber bullying. "Who says you're not perfect? who says you're not worth it? ...who says you're not beautiful...who says?" Indeed. When commenting on the song's meaning, Gomez said, " ...with all the negativity...trying to figure out who you are; it doesn't help when people are constantly trying to tear you down." Well said. Not scheduled to record a cd, but inspired by this amazing song, Gomez changed her schedule to start recording early. Good thing, because the song was certified platinum and charted in the top 25 in the U.S.
Next up was the song Perfect by Pink. The CD version of this song contains explicit lyrics but the radio edit is more family friendly. The video is intense and not appropriate for young children but the message is still very clear: accepting people for who they are. After seeing the video, I reflected on the idea that people tend to live up to your expectations of them. So, if you think someone will disappoint you, they probably will...and conversely, if you think they are capable of great things...then they are just that...capable...of anything! Shouldn't we be more encouraging of others? Of ourselves? Definitely. There are enough people out there willing to rip you to shreds. Please don't join in on that one.
As I reviewed this topic, I was reminded of two other recent songs that are also very empowering: Katy Perry's Firework and Lady Gaga's Born This Way. Both of these songs are encouraging people to accept themselves and realize that everyone has faults, makes mistakes and is not technically perfect. But what is? Perfect is, by definition, that which is ideal or excellent. The last part of the definition is the one I like the best: exactly fitting a need in a certain situation. So, while you or I may not be perfect in the true sense of the word...are we not perfect in some way? Are you not the perfect son or daughter to your parents? I bet they would say so! Are your children not perfect for you? Of course they are! Let's run with that for awhile...because after all...for all of your flaws , insecurities and doubts you may have about yourself, no one, absolutely no one can be more perfectly you...than you!
Thursday July 28, 2011
For the last few years , I have had limited time to enjoy some of my favorite pastimes. Many years ago, I devoured books, often reading an entire book in a day. I used to crochet. I even scrapbooked for awhile. I still take tons of photos but, with digital media, I never seem to get around to printing out the pictures. Above all of these, my favorite diversion has to be listening to music. I began my obsession with all things Top 40 when I was about twelve and heard Da Doo Ron Ron on the radio. No, it wasn't the original 1963 Crystals song but the 1977 remake by Shaun Cassidy. Laugh if you will, but I never missed the Hardy Boys television show. I believed it was a natural progression after my infatuation with Donny Osmond had faded (sorry Donny!) And it got much worse after that!
I used to sit glued to the radio on Sundays to hear Casey Kasem's Top 20 countdown. I think I even wrote down all of the songs so I wouldn't forget any. I would scrape together whatever change I could earn to buy the latest and greatest 45 record for that week. There was Andy Gibb, the Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, KC and the Sunshine Band, Olivia Newton-John, Hall & Oates...I could go on forever... This love of music eventually led me to a teenager's dream job - working in a record store! I was fortunate enough to move up quickly and soon found myself in the job of assistant manager. I got to order everything in the store except for records. There were posters, 45 singles, buttons, stickers, t-shirts, hats and more. It was a fun challenge to try to predict what would be the big seller for the following week and order accordingly. I really miss that "job." But enough about my past...
Recently, I have become re-acquainted with the current chart topping music thanks to my daughters and their love of song. While I may be listening more as a concerned parent these days, I do feel like there are many talented performers out there. Amidst all of the hype, the scandals and a meat dress or shoes, pop music is alive and kicking. American Idol was back on top this year and there is still quality music to be found. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised where I discovered two "perfect" songs. The songs have such a similar theme that I had to buy both of them and actually printed out the lyrics as well. Sung by singers that I would consider to be, pretty much, polar opposites, the songs have a fantastic and remarkably parallel message.
First on the turntable was Selena Gomez & the Scene. Singing a song written by Priscilla Hamilton & Emanuel Kiriakou, lead singer, Ms. Gomez took on the song Who Says, which has personal meaning for her. According to Gomez, the song was intended to inspire people. ..particularly those involved in cyber bullying. "Who says you're not perfect? who says you're not worth it? ...who says you're not beautiful...who says?" Indeed. When commenting on the song's meaning, Gomez said, " ...with all the negativity...trying to figure out who you are; it doesn't help when people are constantly trying to tear you down." Well said. Not scheduled to record a cd, but inspired by this amazing song, Gomez changed her schedule to start recording early. Good thing, because the song was certified platinum and charted in the top 25 in the U.S.
Next up was the song Perfect by Pink. The CD version of this song contains explicit lyrics but the radio edit is more family friendly. The video is intense and not appropriate for young children but the message is still very clear: accepting people for who they are. After seeing the video, I reflected on the idea that people tend to live up to your expectations of them. So, if you think someone will disappoint you, they probably will...and conversely, if you think they are capable of great things...then they are just that...capable...of anything! Shouldn't we be more encouraging of others? Of ourselves? Definitely. There are enough people out there willing to rip you to shreds. Please don't join in on that one.
As I reviewed this topic, I was reminded of two other recent songs that are also very empowering: Katy Perry's Firework and Lady Gaga's Born This Way. Both of these songs are encouraging people to accept themselves and realize that everyone has faults, makes mistakes and is not technically perfect. But what is? Perfect is, by definition, that which is ideal or excellent. The last part of the definition is the one I like the best: exactly fitting a need in a certain situation. So, while you or I may not be perfect in the true sense of the word...are we not perfect in some way? Are you not the perfect son or daughter to your parents? I bet they would say so! Are your children not perfect for you? Of course they are! Let's run with that for awhile...because after all...for all of your flaws , insecurities and doubts you may have about yourself, no one, absolutely no one can be more perfectly you...than you!
Thursday July 28, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment