Superlatives Got bruises?
I used to cut all of the bruises off…even if the banana had only the tiniest blemish, it would have to go…and if there were any burnt flakes in the cereal bowl… well, those would be removed immediately. We simply could not have any imperfections in the morning breakfast. No, no, no, that just would not do.
But that was then…and this is now. I have a bruise on my leg and one on my elbow. I got those when I was out in the yard with my daughter. I have a rather large scar on my eye. I got that when the bungee cord holding my bike in the trunk let go. It healed eventually. I have a big scar on my left knee from a big cut I got on a girl scout outing back in the third grade. I remember it well. The outing, that is…not the cut or the stitches that sewed my knee back together. But the scar is a reminder of that time.
What of the bruises on one's heart? I have had a few. When my cat, Pepper, died, that caused a bruise of sorts. When my oldest daughter first told me she hated me, that was a big bruise. And when my grandmother died…well, I think that was the first time my heart truly broke. It has been broken a few more times since then but it heals and I think it gets a little bigger every time. That corny old line about there being “more room in a broken heart”…I think it’s true. And all of those bruises, bumps and breaks, they are bittersweet…they are there, I'd like to think, because we allow ourselves to feel something for a place or a situation or a person. It shows that we are willing to take risks...risks that may ultimately disappoint or hurt us but could also hold amazing opportunities and afford us spectacular results. One never knows the outcome until it unfolds and should you never take a chance you many never experience life to the fullest. And isn't there a song with the lyrics, "scars are souvenirs you never lose" ? I like that one...and who says you can't find wisdom on the pop charts?
And how about Lucille Ball's statement, "I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven't." Or "People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent" , that one is from Bob Dylan. And this one is my new favorite: "If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for in the morning, sleep late." You gotta love Henny Youngman!
I think about those of us who step lightly and go through life holding back for fear of the results. They may escape that bump or bruise...their heart remains intact. But they may also never know the feeling of winning the lottery...or riding the biggest roller coaster...or singing in your first voice contest...or really falling in love. For them I saved one of the best pieces of advice, thanks to Eleanor Roosevelt, "Do one thing every day that scares you."
I may tend to lead with my swollen, beaten heart but I'm glad that I do. I don’t regret any of the bumps and bruises...not at all. In fact, I look forward to my next scrape or break, because, I am pretty confident that whatever the situation, I had fun doing whatever it was that caused it and I will bear the scar proudly.
No comments:
Post a Comment