Sunday, April 8, 2012

Superlatives To Love Somebody

Superlatives   To Love Somebody

           When I was about thirteen years old, I had a dream that I was married to one of the Bee Gees. It may seem silly but it was a powerful dream and one that I have never forgotten. The Bee Gees  were at the height of their Saturday Night Fever mega-stardom, selling millions of records and performing at sold out shows worldwide. And I was a proud member of their fan club. I still have my original Bee Gees necklace, fan club portfolio and the ticket stub from my very first Bee Gees concert in 1979. It was only the second concert I had ever attended.  My first concert having been their younger brother Andy's show, the year before. Just keeping it all in the family!
            After starting high school, I continued enjoying the music of the Brothers Gibb. I started trolling used records stores, collecting all of their older recordings from the 1960s. While my fellow teens were moving on to artists like Queen, Pink Floyd, Blondie and Michael Jackson, I was still listening to my Bee Gees. Songs like Massachusetts, I Started a Joke and  I've Got to Get a Message to You were my songs of choice.  I was often teased about my obsession but that didn't stop me from loving their music. And when they ever decided to appear in the deliciously bad movie Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band... well, that was just Too Much Heaven! Eventually, I just learned to love them quietly to avoid the torture.            
            During the late 1980's when the disco backlash was in full swing it was a tough time to be a Gibb fan. But, I remained loyal. I knew there was so much more to them than just disco and after all, they had always been there for me.  When my grandmother passed away, the only thing that made me feel better was listening to Bee Gee music. I do credit them with helping me through that very difficult time. And their songs were still so beautiful... and I saw them in concert the summer of 1989 as well.          
            Jumping ahead to 1993, I learned of a Bee Gees appearance at  a small venue in Atlanta, not far from my Aunt's home. I hadn't seen them for a few  years so  I decided to go to the show. Dragging a cousin of mine along  we went early and waited near the stage door to see if we could meet them.  Lucky for me, my cousin was very outspoken and before I knew it she had grabbed my camera and I was standing next to Robin Gibb! While she got the picture,  I was so star struck that I don't think I said anything... well,  nothing intelligent.  I floated into the hall and enjoyed the show from the front row!  Thanks to my long standing membership in their fan club, I got tickets to the next show two days later which was filmed for VH1 in Orlando. This is where it gets  good.
            I arrived at Universal Studios and went immediately to the hall where the performance was to take place. I waited by the entrance to the sound stage until someone  came along. I simply asked to be let inside, and a kind young woman unlocked the door for me. I was in! I got to meet and talk with all three brothers, Barry, Maurice and my favorite, Robin.  I was invited to return for the show that evening and was put on their guest list. This allowed me to enter early so I was able to be in the front row, yet again! In some of the Youtube videos from that concert  I can locate myself in the crowd, but you  really gotta know where to look.  But wait! There's more!
            Leaping forward  to 1997, the Brothers would be appearing in NYC at the Today Show summer concerts. I took my young daughters along and we managed to locate someone,  who knew someone,  who knew someone who let us backstage. This time I got a picture with both my daughters and all three Bee Gees. Then we were allowed to stand in the front row while they played a short set of songs. Being a pretty good amateur photographer  I got a whole series of amazing photographs that ended up in several of the fan club publications. But it gets even better. I networked my way into working on a project with their sound manager and that led to another trip to NYC  that fall for several  promotional appearances and lots of photographs. I was lucky enough to meet all of their wives and some of their children. These amazingly talented people were  very down to earth and incredibly nice. And the icing on the cake was their Las Vegas One Night Only concert later that fall. I was invited to attend the rehearsal  a few days ahead of the concert at the MGM Grand hotel. I was one of only about 300 people in attendance. I couldn't believe my luck! And if you get a chance to see the video of that concert...watch all the way to the end just as the credits begin...and I am in it!!  Oh and the Bee Gees sing a whole bunch of great songs, too!
            Sadly, early in 2003, Maurice Gibb died suddenly leaving me shocked and in disbelief. The Maurice I had come to know was the most outgoing, most friendly and frankly the most "full of life" of the three brothers. He was definitely the comic relief for their group and his death basically ended the Bee Gees performing days.  It was some time before I could listen to Bee Gee music without tearing up.
            Looking back, I feel so very blessed to have had the chance to meet and get to know the brothers a little. To have shared my photographs in their fan newsletters and to have seen so many wonderful concerts has brought so much joy to my life and I will be eternally grateful to them for sharing their amazing voices with the world. Next week to mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra  will perform the Titanic Requiem, the first classical piece written by Robin Gibb.  Robin, along with his son, RJ Gibb, wrote this classical symphony over the last year while battling cancer.  And he sings on the beautiful ballad  Don't Cry Alone with an unmistakable voice that is stronger than ever.... "don't you ever doubt me...I'll be there for you forever...yes, Robin...I know you will...
April 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment